Saturday, September 20, 2014

Hoping for Minimalist. Came Out Magician.

Review/Recap of Doctor Who Series 8, Episode 5: "Time Heist" - SPOILERS

All week, people have all "OMG - Doctor Who's going to o a heist episode! That's awesome!" And maybe it just because I'm not huge in to heist movies - indeed, I didn't even know that was a thing - but I was sort of "Hm. Heist. Yeah. That's nice I guess."

There had to be at least one episode that didn't ring true for me, and I guess this is the one. And it's not like I hated it. It just didn't hit all my buttons the way the previous four did. I'm sure I'll watch it again in the future. Or I won't (Look, I have't rewatched Ocean's Eleven ever. I just don't see a need to do so. I know how it ends. I don't need to watch it again and have all the twists ruined). There was nothing particular bad about it. But it wasn't my cup of tea. That's how these things go. No show is perfect and not everything is going to appeal to everybody. This episode has its fans, I'm sure. But I'm not in a hurry to rewatch it.

There were a few things I did like. Clara and Danny are getting super-close (yes, good). Psi sacrificing himself to save Clara was nice too. Nobody died in this episode (except for the director lady at the end when she's all old and dying anyway, which I already forgot her name so never mind). The Doctor is awesome as always. Though I kind of called that he was the mysterious Architect when the thing about the Architect being from the future came up, so that was a bit of a cheat.

It was light. It was straightforward. It was all right. Just didn't hit that high level of ZOMG - AWESOME that the last four episode have for me. It's about like "Planet of the Ood" or "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" - they're okay, but not instant classics. And I'm okay with that.

Next week looks fabulous, though. The Doctor works at Coal Hill and probably embarrasses Clara in the process. And more Danny/Clara! (yes, this I'm looking forward too).

No comments:

Post a Comment