Monday, July 8, 2013

The Preemptive Critic - "Austenland"

(Been a while since I've done one of these... let's see how it goes)


It is a truth universally acknowledged that most single women from Utah are Jane Austen fanatics.

(Oh, who am I kidding? Even most married women from Utah are Jane Austen fanatics. Don't ask me to explain why, though, because I really have no idea).

This movie is based on the book by Shannon Hale, who is one of my favorite young adult authors.  But she's also written a few novels for grown-ups (I have a hard time calling them "adult" novels, even though that's what they are - but connotations and all that) and they are pretty good.  I'd heard scuttlebutt that Jerusha Hess (one-half of the husband and wife team that brought you Napoleon Dynamite) directed a movie version of Austenland for this past year's Sundance Film Festival and I wondered if the movie would get a release in mainstream theaters (I wouldn't be caught dead wandering around Sundance, no matter the reason).  I enjoyed the book quite a bit - and I enjoyed its sequel (Midnight in Austenland) and I highly recommend both (and here I have now realized I haven't done a proper book review of either one - must put that on my list...)

Already being a fan of the book, I preemptively love this movie.

(And no man is ever going to compare with Mr. Darcy.  But that's good because he's not the one I'm looking for.  I would, however, like to know where Mr. Bingley's been hiding).

No comments:

Post a Comment