Monday, November 11, 2013

My Funny Friend and Me (The Playlist Project - Part 2)

Soldiering onward with Fifty Years Running - The Doctor Who Playlist Project. Here's the next section -

(Part 1 is here)

Track 11: Life in Technicolor ii by Coldplay



Time came a-creeping, oh, and time's a loaded gun
Every road is a ray of light
It goes on, time only can lead you on
Still, it's such a beautiful night

Oh love, don't let me go
Won't you take me where the street lights glow?
I can hear rain coming like a serenade of sound
Now my feet won't touch the ground


I love this song's otherworldly quality and sense of the unknown, which I think really works well for Doctor Who. Something that's really drawn me into these stories is the curious nature of the characters and how much they all (with a few exceptions) want to explore the universe and the wonder that comes with that.

Track 12: Home by Phillip Phillips



Hold on, to me as we go
As we roll down this unfamiliar road
And although this wave is stringing us along
Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home

Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found
Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home

Okay, so I haven't seen "Planet of the Spiders" yet, but I do know that right before the Third Doctor regenerates, he lands at UNIT headquarters and says "The TARDIS brought me home" or something along those lines. And then, in "Journey's End," Sarah Jane tells the Doctor that he shouldn't act like such a lonely man because he's got the biggest family on Earth - indeed, it's that home and that family that he keeps coming back to.  He even seemed to create his own little family unit after he regenerated into the Eleventh Doctor with the Ponds and River Song (though it more or less happened by accident). Point to any Team TARDIS, you can certainly find a sense of family and belonging, which I think this song illustrates nicely.

Track 13: My Funny Friend and Me by Sting



You see the patterns in the big sky
Those constellations look like you and I
Just like the patterns in the big sky
We could be lost we could refuse to try
But we made it through in the dark night
Would those lucky guys turn out to be
But that unusual blend of my funny friend and me

"Have you met Miss Smith? She's my best friend." - The Fourth Doctor, from "The Seeds of Doom"

Stars, friends, unlikely relationships, learning life lessons - if that isn't Doctor Who, I don’t know what is.

Track 14: Below My Feet by Mumford and Sons



Keep the earth below my feet
For all my sweat, my blood runs weak
Let me learn from where I have been
Oh keep my eyes to serve, my hands to learn
Oh keep my eyes to serve, my hands to learn


I like the sound of this song more than anything, but it does serve to remind us of the companions who stopped traveling because it wasn't fun anymore (hi, Tegan!) or even the companions who turned down the Doctor's invitation to travel (Rory's dad, Brian) or companions that never were, but would have been great (Dr. Todd from "Kinda").  Someone's got to stay and water the plants.

Track 15: One Engine by The Decemberists



I chose this to represent the darker, grimmer stories Doctor Who has given us that I enjoy when I'm in the right frame of mind for that kind of storytelling - whether it's the gothic horror of "Pyramids of Mars" or the bleakness of "The Caves of Androzani" or the sheer terror of "Midnight" and "The Edge of Destruction."

Track 16: Long Long Way From Home by Foreigner



I was inside looking outside
The millions of faces
But still I'm alone
Waiting, hours of waiting
Paying a penance
I was longing for home

I'm looking out for the two of us
I hope we'll be here when they're through with us


My classic rock roots are showing with this one (long drives on the farm with my Dad and his '70s rock tapes to listen to will do that - thanks Dad!)  But yeah, going over some of these titles - how could I not choose this song to go on this playlist?

Track 17: Ordinary World by Duran Duran



But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

Another one where I just love the otherworldly sound of the song and I think it fits in that vein of Doctor Who.

Track 18: Paradise by Coldplay



When she was just a girl
She expected the world
But it flew away from her reach
So she ran away in her sleep
Dreamed of para- para- paradise
Para- para- paradise
Para- para- paradise
Every time she closed her eyes


Speaking of otherworldly... here's another entry from Coldplay!  A little girl running away in her dreams - that's got Amy Pond written all over it! And Donna. And... well... sure - Rose, Martha, and Clara fit that description to some degree or another.

Track 19: Gravity by Alison Krauss and Union Station



And the people who love me still ask me
When are you coming back to town?
And I answer, quite frankly,
When they stop building roads
And all God needs is gravity to hold me down

"Our destiny lies in the stars. So let's go and search for it!" - The First Doctor, "The Reign of Terror"

Again - traveling, leaving home, adventure, curiosity, learning to find yourself. All great themes of Doctor Who. Plus, Alison Krauss has one of the most gorgeous voices in music anywhere.

Track 20: Just the Way You Are by Jon Schmidt



Yeah, I know the original Bruno Mars version is really lovey-dovey and crap, which is why I picked the lyric-less version from Jon Schmidt of The Piano Guys. What rang true in this choice was the line from the Eleventh Doctor “In 900 years of time and space, I never met anyone who wasn’t important.” While that isn’t exactly what this song goes for, I think it’s close enough and merits a place on the playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment