Tuesday, May 17, 2011

When Everything Goes Quiet

Wow.  It's been a while since I did a post about nothing in particular.  It's my birthday.  I'm entitled to it :)

My students are all just working on their end-of-year projects.  They have five big things due in English, plus the yearbook needs to be finished.  There's really not much for me to do except answer questions and proofread their stuff.  It's nice that it's so quiet, though.

Oh - there is one thing that's annoying me - the new Popular Science issue came today, so I was flipping through that.  They had a feature on upcoming summer movies and they dissected the science behind things like "Green Lantern" and "X-Men" and "Transformers" and "Captain America" and (what was the other one...) "Cowboys and Aliens."  And I have to say, I got a little annoyed with their analysis.  For example, in the section on "Captain America," they talked about his shield and that it can absorb the shock of a machine gun, but also cut through enemy weapons.  They then go on to say (and I imagine it in the nasally voice of a human weasel) that couldn't ever happen because of some killjoy scientific mumbo-jumbo from a research scientist at We Hate Fun Times University.

It's times like this that I understand why I didn't major in engineering or something like that.  I love science fiction and fantasy stories, but all my enjoyment of those things would be tainted by this little thought in the back of my mind insisting that never could happen.  Of course I know this stuff is fiction, but I don't want to be thinking about it while I'm watching the show!  Good grief - does anyone employ willing suspension of disbelief anymore?

Wow - that was incredibly negative. Sorry about that - I've been trying to quit.  Let me segue into something more enjoyable like...

Birthday Presents!

This year, I'm opening my presents all day (it's tough for the whole family to get together on a weekday, so I got some of my goodies early, but I waited to open them).  This morning, I got the book "Incarceron" by Catherine Fisher.  I'm excited to read this - I've heard nothing but good things about it.  Even one of my brother's buddies recommended it and they aren't exactly Book Club Central.  Almost certainly there will be a review of it on cj's bookshelf when I'm finished (I still need to write my "Uglies" review - boy howdy, do I have things to say about that!)  When I get home for lunch, I'll open another present.

Off to the library!

No comments:

Post a Comment