Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Mighty 200: I Need a Hug Now

Review/Recap of 24: Live Another Day, Episode 8: 6:00 pm-7:00 pm - SPOILERS!

BULLSHIT!


*deep breath* (Look, I don't do well with main character deaths. I just don't)

All right - before I continue on with my normal recap, I've got to get this out of the way -

President James Heller -


I mean, I kind of wondered if Cersei Stark wouldn't have a sudden attack of conscience there at the end - but this is 24. Where the bad guys have reasonable motivations, even if their methods are totally batshit crazy. And, rather that have a mile-a-minute adrenaline rush through this whole episode, we got a slow, methodical everything-going-according-to-plan for Jack.

Of all times for things to go exactly the way Jack set out for them to go... this is not the situation I would have chosen for that to happen. Even their commercial break time was used effectively, with Jack and Heller driving to the helicopter pad and (presumably) hitting all green lights on the way there (we certainly can't have anything like that when Jack is headed off to dismantle a nuclear bomb or something, now can we??)

Ugh - I'm used to my 24 giving me weekly heart attacks, but this isn't what I normally mean. From Heller pleading with Mark to let him give this one last service to his country to his last visit with Audrey - and THEN when Audrey actually finds out what her father's done AND THEN when Heller says he's given Jack a presidential pardon AND THEN Jack says he doesn't want to be pardoned for this because he thinks it's wrong, but he's going to do it anyway because he respects Heller and his personal decisions...


When can I have Mortal Peril coming from the necessity of outrunning a timed missile launch and have Sheer Panic and Mayhem all around me? I can't take these slow-moving feels anymore.

I mean, with all the people that Heller ended up telling about his little suicide mission, plus the agents that Jack left unconscious along the way (okay, I guess there was just that one) - I'm surprised that they didn't get stopped at all. It's 24, man! Where are all the uber-suspicious and untrusting government types???


On the flip side - I did like the split-screen thing as the 6:30 commercial break hit with Big Ben on one side and Jack and President Heller walking down the street on the other. Somebody's been waiting all season to do something like this -
My screengrab here isn't the greatest. It probably looks better in HD.
I'm just gonna list the rest -

- London looks really pretty at night
- Poor Nerd Herd. Survives being shot and dumped in the canal, only to get killed on the fact that he doesn't know how to check the safety on a gun.
- Kate's badassery continues. But even her efforts can't avoid disaster. Though I do kind of hope Simone lives. I don't know to what end, though.
- Cersei Stark for Worst Mother of the Year. It's a bad thing that your daughter's still alive? I just... I'm done with this stupid family. Blow them all to smithereens and get it over with.
- Does Wembley Stadium have valet parking for choppers? (sorry - trying to lighten the mood a little. I failed for obvious reasons)
- Chloe tried. But it's hard to be optimistic when you've got drunk revelers in the local pub draping themselves all over you when you're trying to save the leader of the free world. Stupid Open Cell. Stupid Adrian (though he's going to get his soon. I can feel it).
- I hope the real Secret Service isn't this inept.
- Happy 200th Episode, 24! (well... I don't know that "happy" is the right term for it...)
- It's hard to believe that there are only four more episodes of Live Another Day. Feels like we just got started. Who do we have to bug to get another one of these mini-series things for 24?

No comments:

Post a Comment