Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ode to Mr. Poe

Our internet's back!! I feel like I've been on planet Mars for the last few days without my internet connection (crap, I hope this doesn't mean I'm addicted to the internet - I was just listening to a John Bytheway talk about turning off TV and video games and doing something productive with your life. Some of the examples he cited were of people who were insanely addicted to RPGs and some of them ended up dead because they neglected food and sleep in favor of video games... oy... that's enough to get anybody off the computer...) But I'm back with scores of updates to add to the ol' LJ. The first is an adventure in weenie dog ownership and the last two are "24" and "Heroes" rehashes, respectively. Blood and surgical warning for the first one and spoiler warnings for the last two.

Most of the time, Scout the weenie dog stays in the house. However, when we all leave, we let her outside to run and frolic about the ranch. Up until now, she's been okay - for a little dog, she can take care of herself pretty well.

Well, on Sunday, we came home from church. My mom had my sisters and my cousins in her car and I rode with my dad in the truck. We pulled up right behind Mom and all the kids were out of the car staring in horror at something. Scout pranced out from under the Suburban - and her whole head and right shoulder was covered in blood! The kids were all screaming - my sister looked like she was going to cry (I was going to cry - then I was going to go shoot whatever bigger dog mauled her). Dad picked her up - in church clothes and all - and took her in the house to clean her up and see what was wrong.

At first, I thought Mom hit Scout, then I thought one of the bigger dogs had mauled her (I was seriously heading for the gun cabinet). But what really happened was that the tip of her ear had snagged on something and it tore. There was this little chunk just dangling off by a piece of skin (it was a lot of blood for that little wound, but that's all we could find wrong with her). After we assessed the damage and calmed little Scout the best we could, we all tried to figure out what to do next. Since the nearest vet's office is ninety miles away, that probably wasn't going to be a good option. My cousin's husband has had experience in stitching up animals - mostly cows and horses and things like that. With the proper equipment, a weenie dog couldn't be that much more difficult, so we prepped the patient for surgery on the kitchen table. Mom and Dad held Scout down, my cousin gave her some painkiller and the doctor was in.

The rest of us went outside to feed cows - I thought I could stay and watch, but when he started stitching Scout up, she started yapping pitifully and there was no way I could stay and listen to that, so I went to help the kids with chores (I'm kind of glad the horses got out while we were feeding so I didn't have to be in the house that much longer). By the time we got back, the operation was nearly done. But Scout wouldn't look at anybody except me and my sister (because we weren't the ones trying to torture her). So, while we all watched the Colts eat the Jets' lunch, Scout snuggled on my lap. She's fine now, but we can't let her outside by herself because all the big dogs try to lick her stitches. But she is well enough that she can still beg when I'm trying to eat (like right now...) and she can still go crazy when someone knocks at the door. So much for recuperation... Guess it's another freaky story to tell the grandkids... And Scout has a freaky ear-scar to show her grandkids.

***SPOILERS BEGIN HERE***SPOILERS FOR 24 AND HEROES***

(I wrote this one last night in Word).

This is the episode that I realize who President Omar reminds me of – the facial hair and the big coif – it’s Dennis Miller!

I quite like David Anders’ character (and I have yet to pick up on his name) – instead of being a heartless bastard trying to kill the most lovable hero, he is the somewhat loveable son of a Russian mobster trying to save his baby brother. I think he and Jack are going to hook up at some point – this should be good.

Farhoud - Well, when you have five hours to fill… (at least it’s not what happened in season 6 with Sleaza - poor Tom had to listen to listen in on that – erm – performance). I can just hear the writers: “One Russian hooker would only occupy him for two and a half hours – we’d better give him two.”

Dana – Freddie’s going to find out about White Trash Boy-Toy sooner or later – I’d come clean if I were you. You’d probably get some real witness protection in the process.

And how about White Trash’s little friend there? Damn, Tebow’s killing us. Watching my buddy beat the crap out of his old girlfriend is much more entertaining.

Dalia Hassan – proving the images of docile Muslim women false (but yay for not turning Kalia against her dad – let’s see Sherry Palmer pull something even remotely close to taking the high road)

Just a thought: are there any politicians’ marriages that do work out? (No wonder Wayne Palmer was a bachelor).

(Commercial Blather: Why, why, why in the name of all that is good and holy is DiCaprio still making movies? I thought he drowned in the boat…)

Jack: “Was she [Renee] raped?” Jack certainly knows how to get to the point (he’s had eight seasons to perfect his non-beat-around-the-bush methods, after all)

Win-Line of the Week: “It’s hard to look your best with a gun at your face.” – Renee Walker

Annie Wersching, For Your Consideration - I know it's still early, but give that girl the freaking Emmy!! I can't tell if she's trying to fool Jack or the Russians (or, if in some kind of twisted psychoanalytic way, she's trying to fool herself).

Next Week’s Preview: Jack plays Harry Potter! (Trading in the gun for Avada Kedavra, I see – almost makes me wish I still had my “Jack’s Horcruxes” icon)



This was a pretty so-so episode up until the point Matt starts re-enacting "The Cask of Amontillado." And I was very happy that I took that Edgar Allan Poe class in college because I got the reference! How often do you get the sweetest character to channel Montresor? Too bad Fortunato didn't have a Peter Petrelli bent on save his hysterically blind soon-to-be-killer-of-everyone friend.

Again, I raise a point - does Sylar still have a purpose or is he just going to be half-angsty-emo, half-psycho serial killer for the rest of forever? If I didn't totally love watching Zachary Quinto work, I would question the wisdom of letting him survive Kirby Plaza in the first season (as it is rumored that the writers initially meant him to die there, which probably would have opened them up for other plot lines, etc.) He's turning into the Nina Meyers of this show - except Jack shot Nina in the third season. sigh... I still don't know if I want him to go or not... I'm torn... Can they engineer a long-lost twin brother for Zach to play that isn't so crazy so he can stick around, but they can kill Sylar off? *cough, cough, Ali Larter, cough, Niki Sanders, cough cough, Tracy Strauss, cough cough*

The carnival gets weirder and weirder. For some reason, it keeps reminding me of the Dead Moon Circus from the fourth season of Sailor Moon (hey - and Heroes is in it's fourth season - weird...) Except the Sullivan Brothers' show isn't as quirky and a little more bloody-rampage-type. Well, we can't all be pink and sparkly, I suppose.

What is Daddy Bennet going to see in those mirrors, I wonder? (The DirecTV DVR description still calls him HRG, but I'm sticking with Daddy Bennet, so nyah). And what the crap is Samuel going to do with Claire? Oh - the plot continues to thicken (and where the crap did Hiro go? He's 100%, remember? It's time for some Master of Time and Space badass!! He's got to find Charlie!! You can't just leave Charlie floating in the space/time continuum like you left Kaitlyn! It's CHARLIE, dammit!!)



Okay, I have school stuff to attend to - and I feel a little drained of fandom. Off to face reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment