Wednesday, July 7, 2010

To Stroke My Ego (plus video-spam)

Quick post, just to show that I have not forgotten this blog.  Life has been busy of late - had a crazy 4th of July where your humble correspondent was obligated to come out from behind the computer screen and socialize with family members and friends.  But I must say, the food was good - not to mention the fireworks.

School keeps me busy, as always.  I have a paper due tomorrow that I am feverishly sprinting to complete.  But I have decided that since I've kept all these articles from my past classes, I might as well use them.  I often am required to quote from other articles, which I just think is a pain because why do I want to write a paper using other people's ideas instead of relying on my own?  I mean, sure it's good to know what's out there and what others have written does help you formulate your own thoughts, but I'd much rather share my own ideas.  I usually just quote a line from each article I find and then just prattle on about my own thoughts in a convoluted-academic-smart-people-sounding way (academic writing is really wordy, which also bugs me).  Which is why I ended up creating this "Reference Librarianship in Star Wars" video - it's creative and information and really entertaining (if I do say so myself).



I actually forgot to mention this here, but I used that video in my last class weekend for a presentation and my instructor liked it so much that she asked if she could use it in future trainings.  By the way, my instructor is the assistant director for the Utah State Library - not the USU library, but the library for the State of Utah.  Oh yeah - who's awesome?

I also managed to finish the 2009 "Doctor Who" specials, which were an emotional roller coaster on steroids (It's official - I am a Tenth Doctor fangirl, but Eleven is making a convincing case).  If I can get so involved in a story after just one month, then that's something.  This is what I was talking about when I was lamenting the lack of books that kept me reading into the wee hours of the morning - but who knew I'd find that kind of mileage in a TV show of all things?  I'm almost happy that "24" was canceled (almost) because then I wouldn't have had the desire to find something new to squee over.

And thanks to "Doctor Who," I have also become a David Tennant fangirl - I'm now on a quest to find other shows and movies he's been in.  Before "Doctor Who," I knew him from his role as Barty Crouch in "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, but that was it.  But since then, I've found other (smallish) things he's done and it's simply marvelous ^_^  My next plan of attack is to find the version of "Hamlet" he was in (it should be no secret that I love, love, LOVE "Hamlet" *points to blog subtitle*).  I've seen a few clips on YouTube.  When I actually stop to think about it, I feel a little odd drooling over David's delivery of the "To be or not to be" soliloquy because it's basically Hamlet contemplating suicide, but the giddy fangirl in me just can't help it.  Seriously - if you have any interest in Shakespeare at all, you owe it to yourself to hit the big play button.



Bottom Line - Shakespeare = Win.  Hamlet = Win.  David Tennant = Win.  David Tennant as Shakespeare's Hamlet = So Much Win that the Universe Explodes (good thing we have the Doctor in the house ^_^)

Also in the realm of stories that keep me up at night - Shannon Hale.  Ahem - Shannon Hale!  Is amazing.  I've finished all the "Books of Bayern" and I have to say that I have a writer's crush on her (meaning that I am in love with her style of writing).  The last one, "Forest Born" was simply brilliant.  After three books of having part of the focus being on romance (which, you'll never hear me complain too much about that) it was nice to have Rin come to grips with her people- and tree-speaking abilities.  Rin is an absolute delight.  The others were good too (if "The Goose Girl" hadn't have been so good, I wouldn't have read the rest) and I have gone on to "Book of a Thousand Days," which is lovely.

So, that's what I've been up to lately - school, reading, fangirling, being generally awesome, you know the usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment