Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Beginner's Luck

I've been a little antsy about the Gallifrey One convention next February.  Not in the least because this is my first convention EVER and I want to have a good time, but I know very little about actually going to conventions.  I've asked other con-goers about the logistics and I've read about others' experiences in hopes that I can benefit from something they've learned (Note: Neowhovian has an excellent post with some Gally attendance advice that's well worth a look). But being the travel-dunce that I am, I'm stressing out about plane tickets, hotel rooms, getting from the airport to the hotel and all that jazz (oh, who am I kidding? I stress out about everything. Especially things that really aren't a big deal).

The one thing I've heard over and over is how fast the discounted hotel rooms go.  And that was something that I started to fret about.  The basic idea I got was that if you're not sitting at your computer with your credit card in hand when they announce the hotel room code (and it'll be somewhere like Twitter or Facebook that ends up getting buried under all the other crap that people pile on your wall), you are S.O.L. and you have to book a room elsewhere.  That's probably not entirely true, but I want to have all my travel and accommodations and what-have-you taken care of as soon as possible and just be able to enjoy the experience.

So last night, I'm sitting at my desk and I notice I have a new email.  Turns out, it's from the lovely folks at Gallifrey One announcing that the discounted hotel block is open for people who've pre-registered and here's the code and go get 'em, kid!

First thought was: "Oh, they sent me an email! That's awesome!"  Second thought was: "GO BOOK YOUR HOTEL ROOM NOW!!"



So, I did.  Then, I left for a while then come back to find a SECOND email announcing that the original hotel block was completely booked WITHIN ONE HOUR of the emails being sent out.


You mean - I actually got in under the gun and got my hotel room booked?


I know this is a weird thing for me to be posting about, but THIS KIND OF STUFF NEVER HAPPENS TO ME!!  I fully expected to be one of those newbies who can't get a place to stay in LA and is scrambling the week before to find a couch or the backseat of a car to sleep on during Gally.  Please allow me this victory lap.

Right now, I'm chalking this up purely to beginner's luck.  I'm certain that if I decide to go to Gally in 2014, I will be one of those poor schlubs whose emails got lost in limbo and completely misses the first run of hotel bookings.  But for now, I'm going to enjoy this victory with a herd of Daleks chasing a turtle at what I assume was a past Gally.


Everyone - I'M GOING TO GALLIFREY! (It still hasn't completely sunk in that I'm doing this).

No comments:

Post a Comment