Friday, June 11, 2010

The Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease

In celebration of Blogger's new template designer (and the fact that I complained about it in my last post), can I just say - THANK YOU BLOGGER!!!  My new blog looks AWESOME!!

I actually got on here to talk about something cool that happened today.  I applied for a job at Snow College in Ephraim, Utah.  Now, I attended Snow and got my Associate's degree from there in 2005 before I went on to Utah State and (now) Emporia State.  Today, I had an interview for this job and it wasn't as long as I originally anticipated (don't know if that's a good or a bad sign), so I stuck around on campus and walked around.

Snow is a 2-year junior college in a small town, which means that Ephraim is pretty dead in the summer.  But there was still plenty going on.  They built a brand new library right behind the Noyes Building - and the new library actually looks like the historic Noyes Building (a bit).  One of the people interviewing me told me I should go walk around the new library before I left, but they were doing landscaping and some touch-up construction work and I felt funny walking inside, so I just walked around the outside.

Where I did go inside was the old humanities building, which hasn't changed a bit since those long nights at The Snowdrift.  The room numbering is still as weird as ever and there's still that one brick in the connecting hallway that isn't as shiny as the rest.  But they moved The Snowdrift office - the old newspaper production classroom  hidden off in the corner is... just a plain old regular classroom!  Sad day! :(  And I couldn't find where the newspaper office is now (though the Department of Communication got some nifty new signage.  Meh).  Oh well... I guess you really can't go home again (yet the student radio station is exactly where it used to be).

I want to take this opportunity to poke fun at something I've always found funny about college recruitment.  While I was wandering the humanities building, I walked past a campus tour group that was checking out the Writing Lab.  Now, I figure all campus tours are about the same - they show you where the library is, where the cafeteria is, the writing lab, the science building, highlight any historic buildings and also talk about all the cool stuff there is to do in and around town (most of what's cool about Ephraim is outdoorsy stuff - hiking, mountain climbing, camping.  Actually, I've noticed that holds true for all the colleges in Utah).  Maybe it was just the way that I decided where to go to school, but not once did I have to weigh my decision based on the location, the size of campus or anything like that.  I just said "I'm going to Snow and then to Utah State - end of story."  I couldn't even really tell you how I arrived at that decision.  Utah State's Aggie Ice Cream didn't have anything to do with it - but in high school, there was no way I was turning down the free ice cream the recruiters brought to College Day.  Anyway, campus tours and visits - funny things.

Speaking of college - an email just popped into my inbox from the American Library Association (ALA) regretting to inform me that I was not awarded a scholarship that I had applied for.  Well, I applied for this months ago and hadn't heard a thing, so I figured I wasn't getting it.  But this'll make you laugh - at the end of the email, after the sender's contact info and stuff, it has this quote: "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."

If that doesn't make you giggle - what's wrong with you?


No comments:

Post a Comment