Sunday, August 29, 2010

Holy Risotto, I'm Tired! or Snark Reigns Supreme!

(Thanks to the joys of Wikipedia, I finally found out what risotto was. Now this video makes a bit more sense - and is even more funny ^_^)

This was the first weekend after I've been working for a full-on week and then I went to church in Delta.  I love the singles branch in Delta.  I have a bit of anonymity (not a whole lot, but a bit) and I can be my own person there (whereas in my branch in Callao, everyone knows my family, everyone is in everyone else's business, etc.  You know, the real reasons people go to singles wards/branches - not that stupid excuse that it's the only place they can go to get married.  I spit in the eye of that excuse).  But this driving back and forth... it's exhausting.  I am fully aware of how crazy it is to do so much driving, but I don't know that I have a choice in the matter.  Well, actually I do.  I could find a job in Salt Lake or Delta or Logan or Outer Mongolia and move away... oh wait... I tried that one already.  We're in a recession and nobody can afford to hire any new people (and here's where I would usually be inclined to make a snarky political statement, but I just don't feel like dealing with the fallout right now.  You can pretend I said something if you like, 'kay?  Maybe I'll just randomly link to HillBuzz.  Good enough).

Anyway, where was I?  Oh yeah - the only place I could find to hire me was at West Desert High School.  Beggars can't be choosers.  And it's not so bad as it could be - at least it's in the general ballpark of what I want to go into anyway (Youth Services Librarianship - yay masters degree!).  It just requires that I live in the outer reaches of nowhere, which is coincidentally where my family lives, which is nice because I don't have to pay rent (I help keep the house and do a bit to help out the family business, though).  But the driving!  All the driving I have to do!  I shouldn't complain - it's not like I'm not used to it.  One day, perhaps, I will live somewhere that I live a block away from work, school, the grocery store and Barnes and Noble.  Maybe even a place where I don't have to give the US Postal Service one ZIP code and UPS a completely different one.  Maybe even a place where both Verizon and AT&T will have painted on their maps (what is that like, anyway?)

Then again, if I lived in a place like that, I'd hate all my busybody neighbors who have to know all the cackly beauty salon gossip ("Oh my GAWSH - she did WHAAT???" - please kill me) and live on top of me and call the cops when my dog craps on their lawn.  My house would look just like everyone else's house because that's what the Homeowners Association (i.e. Hitler) told me to I had to do just to live here (I hate HOAs, in case you couldn't tell.  I think it's a stupid idea, selling me a building lot and then telling me what I can and cannot do with it.  It's my property - I'll do whatever the freck I want).

Just goes to prove that nowhere is perfect.  Everywhere has things you love about it and everywhere has things you wish would go far far away.  As it stands, I love being in Callao and I wouldn't move for anybody.  I don't mind going to the city for a visit (but I also wouldn't be opposed to friends coming to visit me out here, hint, hint.  Come on, all you wussy city-dwellers - it's not that far to come.  Some of you probably make weekend trips to Lake Powell or Wendover without blinking an eye).

("Wussy" here is a term of endearment, by the way)

This post is all over the place - I don't even know where I started.  Goes to show how tired I really am, I guess.  I make random comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment