The Utes beat Pitt 27-24 in overtime. And they're darn lucky to get a win here - I guess the boys still had some summertime rust to shake out. Not just the players - WTF was with the double-icing of the kicker there, Coach?
Some thoughts -
- Versus is definitely the best choice for Mountain West football viewing. 'Course when your only competition is The Mtn. (aka UVU's remedial broadcast journalism class), that's not saying much. Happily, I only have one more year of this and then we're off to the Pac-10 and back on ESPN (no more sideline interviews with the defensive coordinator from Hayville High School that coached Wyoming's quarterback when he was in 8th grade - Hooray!)
- Addendum to above - I realize that Versus' emphasis is on college sports, but must we take constant breakaways to Pitt's glorified frat house party? I mean, good grief - they're the visiting team. Their fans don't get the privilege of showing off their stupidity. Pan over the MUSS all you want (okay, fine - and the opposing team's fans that made the effort to travel to Salt Lake, if you must).
- I would also advise Pitt's cheerleaders - choose a more flattering color for your tops next time. That gold blends into your skin too well. I kept thinking the cheerleaders were topless - which I guess meshes well with the frat house theme.
- Three words - Too. Many. Penalties. Three more words - Be. More. Awesome.
- I'm not overly opposed to the icing the kicker move. While it's become an overused tactic in college and pro football, I like it when it works in my favor and I hate it when it works against me. But for it to work - don't you want the second (hopefully missed) attempt to be the one that counts? Coach - you know I love you, but.... why the second timeout? WHYYYYYYYY????
- Most appropriate name - Shaky Smithson. I haven't heard of him before today, but if that's his real name... wouldn't that have been an indication? (Probably worse if that's his nickname).
- Pitt's ranked #15? Well, rankings this early in the season are like ice trays to Eskimos. And the BCS and AP rankings typically fail at life anyway, so who's counting.
- And this may not be the venue for it, but I wasn't very attentive when this initially made news, so I'm going to bring it up here - BYU's going independent? To what point and purpose? The BCS has never even sneezed in your direction. Oh, you may have been mentioned at the beginning of a few seasons, and perhaps a little in the middle, but you've always - ALWAYS taken yourself out of BCS contention by Thanksgiving (blame the fact that the only place programmed into your GPS - besides the two-for-one line at the St. George Chuck-a-Rama - is Las Vegas). Whereas Utah, Boise State and TCU have all been courted and even had success in BCS bowl games (honestly, if anyone should go independent, it's TCU). Yes, you're a private religious school, blahdy-blah - but quit trying to be Notre Dame. You, my... friends... are no Notre Dame.
- Calling BYU "friends" - I threw up a little in my mouth.
- All that being said - Jordan Wynn is amazing. If it didn't look like jail bait, I'd marry him. And that other kid that caught the interception - Brian Blechen - the girls that live next door had better make him cookies. Because I would.
Bottom Line - I'm glad we won. I'm not happy about the way we won - but I take come comfort that this was early in the season and now we can iron out the wrinkles (Win pretty or win ugly - just win).